Frequently Asked Questions
To make sure you find students that currently enrolled in Navigate, make sure to enter at least “1” in the Min. Credit Hours field. Here is how:
- Advanced Search tool
- “Term Data” section
- “Min. Credit Hours” – enter “1”
Why: This ensures that students in a search are actually enrolled in classes. They may show up in Navigate even if not enrolled in courses and may even show up on advisor’s caseloads. For example: A student registers for Fall Semester 2022, then defers their admission to Fall Semester 2023.
Staff who advise and teach are now having the students in their classes show up on their assigned student list which is causing some confusion. This is due to the “Instructor” relationship type. The fix is to change the filter to “Primary Advising Contact” only. Here is how in Advanced Search Tool:
- select semester you searching for
- In your advanced search go to ‘Assigned To’ dropdown menu
- under ‘Student has relationship’
- select ‘Primary Academic Advising Contact’
- then select your name (screenshot is attached)
There are great Advanced Search resources in the Advanced Search tutorial in the Help Center (select Colorado State University to login).
Please note: you can also filter your caseload (in addition to doing an advanced search) on your Navigate home page by:
- selecting “Term” for caseload you want to pull up
- select “Relationship Type” dropdown
- selecting “Primary Academic Advising Contact”
For resources on the Navigate Home page for staff (including a Feature Video), please visit the Navigate Homepage tutorial in the Help Center.
Most of our services at CSU within the “Assigned Major or Minor Advising” location require 48 hours notice. This setting is location-specific and may allow same day scheduling for other locations.
Appointments allow students to schedule meetings on their own by either using Navigate Student, or by logging into Navigate.
Campaigns allow you to push out an email to your students that contains a unique URL allowing them to schedule their appointments. The campaign is most often used for shorter periods of time, such as during registration advising.
If you set availability for campaigns and not appointments, the only way students can schedule an appointment with you in Navigate is if you create and send the campaign email.
This depends on the length of time you wish to be available to your students for appointments. Selecting a date range gives you more control over your calendar and availability. Selecting “Forever” is generally not recommended because your availability may change from semester to semester. In this case, it is best to simply update your availability at the start of each semester.
- There are a few reasons why this might be happening:
- Your availability may not be set correctly. Your availability doesn’t just communicate when your available it is also used by the platform when pulling the list of advisors a student can schedule with. Be sure to read the How to set up availability link in the Using the Platform section above if you need help.
- Your are not the students advisor. Most locations in Navigate are set up to only allow students to schedule appointment with their assigned advisor if you are not list as an advisor then the student wont be able to schedule with you.
- Too many no-shows. Some locations are set to prevent students from scheduling an appointment if there are too many no shows within a certain period of time.
- Why isn’t my calendar syncing?
- Calendars will only sync Busy or Tentative times from your professional calendar. Any calendar appointment that is marked as ‘Free’ or ‘Private’ will not sync over.
- Why are students able to schedule at times other than the half/top of the hour?
- Navigate tries to make sure as many students can schedule within your set availability. If you have availability from 8am – 4pm and you have an appointment from 8:00 – 8:50 Navigate will allow a student to schedule at 8:50 in order to maximize how many students you can meet with.
ARIESweb / Student Advising Assignments
Visit page 27 in the Advising Technology User Guide.
Assignments in ARIESweb will show up in Navigate within 24 hours.
Overview handout of Student Advising Assignments (SAA) where advisors assign/remove students from their caseloads.
Visit pages 8-10 in the Advising Technology User Guide
Yes, as long as you have synced your calendar, it will not show up as an available time for your students to book an appointment.
Appointment Campaigns are an important part of the Navigate platform. Below are some common questions EAB receives about this tool.
When you send the campaign, students will automatically receive an email with a unique link to schedule their appointments. The dates they are able to sign up for will depend on the date range you selected when you set up your campaign.
For example, if you set your campaign to run from April 1-April 25, and you send it out on March 20, students could immediately start signing up for appointments, but the first available slot wouldn’t be until April 1.
Yes, you can create a campaign for group advising by setting the appointment slots to more than one student when creating the campaign. If you have more than one time slot available for group advising, please ensure your group appointment campaign is not overlapping with any other existing availability in the system. This could cause complications with students signing up for the wrong appointment slots. If you have questions about the best way to set up group advising campaigns, please contact our office.
Navigate Reports and Terms
Other Advising Success Tools
Visit the Success Tools & Software Overview.
If you experience any issues with student success tools, please submit a support request.
The Help Desk assists with any number of IT and related inquiries. Examples:
- eID accounts
- VoIP, phones, and voicemail
- Wireless and wired networking
- Cable TV
- Security, SSL gateway, remote VPN client
- Housing & Dining IT help
- Antivirus/Malware help and removal
- Canvas, iClickers, classroom technology
- Software, Microsoft Office, Office Suite
- Videoconferencing, Classroom video, Echo360
- Server hosting, Web hosting, Database hosting, Cloud Storage, etc.
- Single Sign On (Shibboleth)
- Library special technologies including VR, 3D Printing, Poster Printing, more
- Much, much more
Student Documentation (Notes & Appointment Summaries)
Both Notes and Appointment Summaries will show up on a student’s History tab in Navigate.
A note is not specific to an appointment. The note feature is often used to document an action or approval that was taken on behalf of a student. For example, you might want to document that a student received approval to substitute a different course for a requirement in the major. Additionally, you can choose to share the note with the student, which will be logged in his/her Navigate account.
Appointment summaries are specific to an advising appointment that took place. The summaries documents what college or program the appointment was for, the reason for the appointment, and other elements that might be useful to know about the appointment. This facilitates easy reporting functions in the system, where you can pull data on all of your appointments for specific colleges/programs and appointment reasons. Currently, there is no option to share an appointment summary with a student.
Yes, if you re-open the appointment summary, you can hit the ‘Edit’ button below and make the changes.
To add an Appointment Summary for a specific student, you should always go to your homepage in Navigate and click on Actions under Recent Appointments, then “Add Appointment Summary.” This will associate your appointment summary with the scheduled appointment. You will end up having duplicate appointments if you try to add the Appointment Summary directly from the student profile, rather than from your Staff Homepage in Navigate.
Login to Navigate and visit Appointment Summaries – Help Center (eab.com)
(or click “Colorado State University” from the drop down menu and login with your CSU single sign-in credentials
Student Lists and Navigate Syncing
- after a semester of the following criteria, students should be inactive in Navigate (note: inactive students may still display for up to two years)
- graduated and not enrolled in classes
- withdrew from CSU and told CSU
- not enrolled in classes by census
- expelled due to academic or disciplinary reasons
- all records will stay in ARIESweb longer than 2 years)
Please submit a support request if you notice a student is active longer than the criteria in this FAQ.
Once a student is admitted to CSU
- Note: students become “inactive” if not enrolled in classes at Census (University Add/Drop Deadline for Most Classes)
There are a couple of reasons why this would be the case.
- The student was recently admitted to CSU and has become active in Navigate. The algorithm needs an additional day or two of data loads to determine the support priority level. The key to this would be to look at which “First Active Term” category is attached to the student- if it’s for the next upcoming term (i.e. 202390), it’s likely the support priority level will become known in another day or two.
- Students who are at the university as a graduate student or under another special status will show as unknown because we do not have enough data in the system on which to determine a priority level. Here are the identified student populations that will likely show as “unknown”: Continuing Education, Faculty/Staff, Guest, International Exchange, Visiting International, Post Grad Term, Master’s, PhD
Note: If you notice a student that displays as “Unknown” for more than 24 hours after their status has changed or you think they should have a specific support priority level, please submit a support request
Once students are active in the system, advising assignments can be made– student usually become active when they confirm their admission and deposit. Departments are responsible for making their own advising assignments in Aries Web.
Navigate takes 24-48 hours to update depending on the system it is syncing with. In other words, it is not always live data because of the syncing process. On weekends, the sync may take longer.
- Majors stop changing for the current term at Census (2 weeks in).
- Majors start changing for the upcoming term at census of the previous term because that’s the term for which a student will be registering.
- Students who withdraw from the university still have data, but it may no longer update since they aren’t current students they aren’t included in any data pushes.
- Students who are admitted to CSU are loaded sometime Saturday-Monday after that, and then they will have a student record in EAB Navigate.
- Online students are not brought over intentionally, unless it’s a distance degree program administered through on campus college (Liberal Arts has a few of those).