Welcome to the CSU advising team!
Developmental academic advising is a systematic process based on a close student-advisor relationship intended to aid students in achieving educational, career, and personal goals through the utilization of the full range of institutional and community resources.
NACADA has a few other interesting definitions for academic advising.
Here are the basics:
- Know who you are advising. Their goals and needs are the driving force.
- Know the options. You are a representative of Colorado State University and relied upon to help simplify navigating what can be a very complex and intimidating system of higher education.
- Make referrals. Connect the dots and resources as everyone who works for CSU is highly invested in helping every student be successful.
At CSU we have a comprehensive training model, with information about how to get started successfully.
- Step 1: Review the Onboarding Guidelines
- Step 2: Review the Checklist for Adv Foundations and Related Sessions Plan to attend as many as you can your first semester.
- Step 3: Connect with your fellow advisors/academic support coordinators.
- Step 4: Know where to look for information! The topics in the Advising Resources section are a good start.
Continue to explore other advisor training areas and opportunities.