FAQs about University Withdrawal

There may be many reasons to complete a University Withdrawal (withdraw from all of your classes) ranging from a medical condition, a personal or family crisis, to experiencing financial or academic difficulty. Your Academic Support Coordinator (see Ramweb) is available to discuss your options and the withdrawal process.

The following information explains the University Withdrawal process at Colorado State University through frequently asked questions. It is your responsibility to complete the entire withdrawal process. Note that you may withdraw from one or more classes (but not all) by accessing the registration system on RAMweb through the published course withdrawal date. See “important dates” on the CSU Registrar’s Office Web site.

1) What do I do if I decide not to attend BEFORE the semester begins?

Only, you can initiate the “cancellation” of your registration before the semester begins. Log on to RAMweb and drop all of your classes. (No penalty is assessed – tuition and fees are cancelled for classes dropped before the first day of the semester.) You are NOT automatically dropped from courses due to nonattendance.

2) How do I withdraw once classes have begun?

Students needing to leave the university for the semester and not complete any of their registered courses can complete a university withdrawal. Students must go to RAMweb and find “University Withdrawal” under “Records” in order to withdraw. Students may complete a university withdrawal through the last day of the regular semester (the Friday prior to finals week).

3) How will withdrawing affect my bill for tuition and fees?

Once the semester has begun, your assessment will be either 25%, 75% or 100%, depending on the date of your withdrawal. The date of withdrawal is the date you complete the electronic form on RAMweb to formally withdraw from the University. Refer to the CSU Registrar’s Office Web site for specific assessments.

For pro-rated housing charges, contact Housing and Dining Services at (970) 491-6511. Students called to active military duty will not be assessed tuition and fees if they present a copy of military orders and are not receiving financial aid.

If you are a financial aid recipient, there are specific federal, state, and University withdrawal policies regarding tuition and fees, University housing charges, and return of funds to the financial aid programs resulting from a withdrawal. Information regarding the regulations for calculating earned aid is available upon request from Student Financial Services.

Fall & Spring Semester: Deadline for initiating a University Withdrawal is the Friday before finals week.

Please refer to the registrar’s University Withdrawal schedule.

Summer Session: The Summer withdrawal policy and assessment schedule can be found online at Summer Session Cancellation-Drops-Withdrawals

4) How long does the withdrawal process take?

Once the withdrawal steps are completed on RAMweb, you may need to complete additional steps, but requests are typically processed in 1-3 days.

5) How does a withdrawal affect my graduate student status?

If you are a graduate student withdrawing from the University, you need to consult your academic department regarding the readmission process. If you are receiving financial assistance (graduate assistant-ship, fellowship or other means of financial support), you must contact your department before you leave the university.

All continuing graduate students (students who are taking time off but are planning to complete their degree) are required to be continuously registered for $150 per semester or upon readmission will be assessed a $150 fee.  Registration for “continuous registration” (CR in the class schedule) is only possible during the regular registration period each semester.  For complete information, contact the Graduate School at gschool@grad.colostate.edu or call (970) 491-6817.

6) How does a withdrawal affect my academic record?

All classes are removed from your record for the term of withdrawal. The official transcript will show that you withdrew on a specific date. If you are on academic probation at the time of withdrawal, the probation status will continue if or when you are readmitted to the University (refer to the Scholastic Standards policy in the current University General Catalog).

7) How does withdrawing affect my financial aid?

If you have financial aid, you must contact Student Financial Services in Centennial Hall or call (970) 491-6321 to find out how withdrawing affects your current and future aid and repayment of loans.

8) After withdrawing can I still use the University facilities?

CSU Health Network

Any student who has withdrawn from the University has the option of using the CSU Health Network, under the previous semester fee, for up to 30 days following termination of student status in order to coordinate other care coverage, pending approval by the Director of Counseling, Director of Specialty Counseling, Director of Psychiatry, Director of Medical Services and/or the Director of Specialty Medical Services. This is applicable for any semester and for any insurance coverage, excluding the Student Health Insurance Plan (see below).

Student Health Insurance Plan

Any student withdrawing from the University during the first thirty-one (31) days of the semester period for which coverage is purchased will not be covered under the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) and a full refund of premium will be made, minus the cost of any claims paid by the insurance carrier. Students withdrawing after thirty one (31) days will remain covered under the health plan for the semester purchased and no refund will be allowed.

If you withdraw after the course drop period, you are required to retain your student health insurance and no refunds will be given. For complete information, call (970) 491-7121.

Student Recreation Center

Once a student withdraws from the University, they are no longer eligible to use the Student Recreation Center.

9) How do I check out of University Housing?

Residence Halls

If you live in a residence hall and withdraw from the University, you must officially check-out with the office manager or desk personnel in the hall where you live. You have 72 hours in which to complete the residence hall check-out process. The office manager or desk personnel will review the check-out procedures with you. For further information, contact Housing & Dining Servicesat (970) 491-6511.

University Apartments

Students residing in University apartments who are withdrawing from the University must complete an “Intent to Vacate” form at their Village Office or at 208 Palmer Center. Residents are responsible for 30 days rent from the day the vacate notice is submitted.

10) How do I return to Colorado State University?

Once you cancel your registration or withdraw from the University, you are no longer considered an enrolled student. Should you want to re-enroll, access the Office of Admissions web site for complete information regarding the application process for returning students.

Feedback for the Page: