Retroactive Withdrawal Policy

A student may request that all grades in an academic period (one or more semesters of continuous enrollment) be retroactively removed and replaced by entries of “W” on his/her transcript. A retroactive withdrawal may be granted only when a student has experienced circumstances, or an incident of such trauma and major proportions, that he/she could not have reasonably been expected to possess normal capabilities necessary to complete the academic period satisfactorily or complete a University Withdrawal.

The student must submit a written request for the retroactive withdrawal to the Center for Advising and Student Achievement (CASA). The request is reviewed by the Committee on Scholastic Standards on a monthly basis during the academic year.


The completed application and supporting documentation MUST be turned into the Center for Advising and Student Achievement two weeks prior to the Committee meeting, which is normally held during the last week of the month. Documentation may include letters of support from physicians, counselors, and other professionals who can elaborate upon the student's reasons for requesting a retroactive withdrawal.  In addition, students must meet with an advisor from CASA in order to be better prepared to submit an appeal.

Failure to academically perform due to factors such as the following would not generally qualify a student for a retroactive withdrawal:

  • Bad habits or poor judgment
  • Time management issues
  • Failed relationships/roommate problems
  • Failure to use university resources
  • Ignorance of University policies

A retroactive withdrawal is not allowed if a student has earned a degree from Colorado State and the semester in question was used to meet University, college  or departmental requirements for the degree.  Generally, requests are not allowed after four years have elapsed since the end of the last semester covered by the request.

A retroactive withdrawal does not affect classes taken through OnlinePlus. Contact OnlinePlus ink Spruce Hall: (970) 491-5288.


When a retroactive withdrawal is granted, ALL grades for the entire semester will be changed to a “W”.

Students concerned about individual course grades must contact individual instructor(s) or department(s) on their own and discuss alternatives available.

Students are allowed two requests for the same period, the second request requiring additional supportive documentation.

No costs associated with University enrollment, including tuition and fees, will be refunded.


Reference the Colorado State University General Catalog for the policy.